Year End Survey!
Posted by Caitie F on December 31, 2013
A year is coming to an end, which means it is time for the End of Year Book Survey, hosted by the lovely Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner. I am only including books that are already out, which cuts out most things that I have read in the past two months.
But first! Here are my stats for the year!
Books read: 153– hit my yearly goal!
Read for work: 91 – I thought the number would go down this year, but my job changed early in the year and it went WAY up.
Read 1001 Books to Read Before You Die Books: 2
Read 1001 Children’s Books to Read Before You Grow Up Books: 0 (oops on both)
Read for pleasure: 62 – only a few less than last year, with a non-work reading slump of over 2 months!
YA/MG books read – 127 (guess which I read for work!)
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
I will have to cheat just a little.
Best Middle Grade – Pi in the Sky by Wendy Mass
Best YA/NA – Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
How to Love by Katie Cotougu. It got rave reviews from almost everyone and I found it so underwhelming that I didn’t even bother to review it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau. I was worried it would be too much like The Hunger Games, but I loved everything about it. I have read the second in the series and it blew me away.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I recommended it the everyone! It is SO perfect for people in my generation.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau. Absolutely loved it!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Anne Ursu. I know she has been around for a while, but I read one of her books this year and I need to read all of them!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. i liked it more than Gone Girl!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I am not much of a re-reader, so none
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I was a little underwhelmed by the book, but this cover is perfect
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Kvothe, from The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Possibly because I was reading the book for two months!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I have to go with The Name of the Wind, since I went back and read sentences again because they writing was so great!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Hands down, Fangirl. This book got me. It got my friends. It was one of the most wonderful books I have ever read.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Took me way too long to get to this one!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I don’t really keep track of these, so I will just say none, because I would just pick a recent one!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Reconstructing Amelia made me gasp and i wanted to find someone else who read it right away as did Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Fangirl! That one was easy
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Age group: Young adult. Genre: Either realistic or fantasy, not sure which was more
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I want to be friends with Cath from Fangirl. She is so awesome!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. It is such a rich and vivid world!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Hmm the most fun.
Probably Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein. Every page was a delight
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I want more people to read Prep School Confidential by Kara Taylor