Thanks so much to Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner for doing this again! She’s the best, you should follow her on all social media.
Number Of Books Read: 104
Genre Break down:
YA fantasy: 15
YA Science fiction: 8
YA contemporary: 36
YA historical: 5
Middle Grade: 7
Adult fantasy: 5
Adult science fiction: 2
Graphic novels: 5
Adult romance: 12
Adult mystery: 3
Women’s fiction: 3
Books with male authors*: 32
Books with female authors*: 78
Diverse books**: 62
*Some books counted twice because coauthors
**This means books written by and/or with a main character who is not white, straight, cis gendered, or abled.
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
I am going to list the best 10.
My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
When I Was the Greatest by Jason Reynolds
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand
The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchinson
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Great American Whatever – just not for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
My Sister Rosa – I didn’t think it would be so amazing, but it was phenomenal!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Nevernight – I hand sold more copies of this book than any other. ❤
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Best series started: The Lotus Wars
Best sequel: A Court of Fist and Fury (book two is way better than book one!)
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Three Dark Crowns
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
Nevernight. I mean, just look at it – that cover is sexy.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
My instinct is Mia from Nevernight because she is everything. But also Travis from the Serpent King. And Rosa from My Sister Rosa is still in my brain.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
I hate to sound like a broken record, especially since we are pals, by Jay Kristoff writes the most beautiful books. So Nevernight, Stormdancer, and Kinslayer are al on that list.
And I Darken gets an honorable mention
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Stormdancer. I was in the acknowledgements but didn’t read it until now. Oooops
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
We are the Ants – such a great book.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Mia and Mr Kindly (NN) and Dill, Tavis and Lydia (TSK)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Nevernight, because My Sister Rosa was my first from Justine.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Mia (let’s pretend she’s not a teenager for this one, okay?). Also Cora from Loving you Easy.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
The Star-Touched Queen
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Gemina! Such a great setting
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
You Know Me Well by NIna Lacour and David Levithan
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
The Serpent King and Goodbye Days. Jeff Zentner is the worst
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Great Shelby Holmes by Elizabeth Eulberg
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Nevernight because it’s what Jay does best
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
I have a whole list over at my challenge.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
The last book in the Illuminae Files series
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
You Don’t Know Me But I Know You by Rebecca Barrow
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
The Ship Beyond Time
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner