Thanks so much to Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner for doing this again! She’s the best, you should follow her on all social media.
Number Of Books Read: 100
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre Break down:
YA fantasy: 15
YA Science fiction: 5
YA contemporary: 14
YA historical: 1
Middle Grade: 4
Adult fantasy: 4
Adult science fiction: 5
Graphic novels: 15
Adult romance: 7
Adult historical: 2
Adult mystery: 5
Adult other: 5
Books with male authors*: 32
Books with female authors*: 77
Diverse books**: 25
Full manuscripts read***: 22
*Some books counted twice because coauthors
**This means books written by and/or with a main character who is not white, straight, cis gendered, or abled.
***Approximate, each only counted once
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
That is easy. ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, also known as the book that will be the answer to 1/3 of all these questions.
But I also want to break down by genre and this is where it gets hard because this was my best reading year ever. I have more books I loved this year than every before.
YA fantasy: SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo
YA Science fiction: BLACK WIDOW: FOREVER RED by Margaret Stohl
YA contemporary: ALL THE RAGE by Courtney Summers
Middle Grade: GEORGE by Alex Gino
Adult historical: IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT by Judy Blume
Adult fantasy: THE MAGICIAN KING by Lev Grossman
Adult science fiction: GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown
Adult romance: PLAY by Kylie Scott
Mystery/thriller: THE UNFORTUNATE DECISIONS OF DAHLIA MOSS by Max Wirestone
Memoir: BROWN GIRL DREAMING byJacqueline Woodson
Nonfiction: BEHIND THE BEAUTIFUL FOREVERS by Katherine Boo
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
That one is easy. GO SET A WATCHMAN by Harper Lee. blarg
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
THE BURNING SKY by Sherry Thomas – somehow I missed it when it came out but LOVED it. Need to finish the series
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff- I pushed it on people constantly and actually got dozens to read it. Go me!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
Series started: Duh. ILLUMINAE, but also RED RISING by Pierce Brown and I have to alsos include LIGHTLESS by C A Higgins
Sequel: This one is tied between GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown and THE ROSE SOCIETY by Marie Lu
Series Ender: THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS by Rick Riordan – perfect ending to that series.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
I am picking two:
Nicola Yoon. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING was brilliant and I will read everything she writes.
Max Wirestone. I laughed more reading THE UNFORTUNATE DECISIONS OF DAHLIA MOSS than anything else all year.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t do westerns, but WALK THE EARTH A STRANGER by Rae Carson was phenomenal.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention to UNWIND by Neal Shusterman
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
None – no time for rereads.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
AIDAN from ILLUMINAE. Also Verity from CODE NAME VERITY
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
FIRE by Kristin Cashore
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP – I mean, it is in the title.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Really.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
“Perhaps bravery is simply the face humanity wraps around its collective madness.” – ILLUMINAE
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
Longest: FALL OF GIANTS by Ken Follet
Shortest: MS MARVEL VOLUME 1: NO NORMAL
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
ILLUMINAE just all of it.
LIFE AFTER LIFE by Kate Atkinson
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I don’t have one!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Kady and AIDAN from ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention: Simon and Penny in CARRY ON by Rainbow Rowell
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
THE ROSE SOCIETY by Marie Lu
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
MS MARVEL – all volumes.
22. Best 2015 debut you read?
RED RISING by Pierce Brown
23. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention: THE BLADE ITSELF by Joe Abercrombie
24. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
WE CAN WORK IT OUT by Elizabeth Eulberg
25. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention: GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown
26. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
THE SAFEST LIE by Angela Cerrito
27. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention: GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown
28. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
ILLUMINAE. Honorable mention: MODERN ROMANCE by Aziz Ansari
29. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
GOLDEN SON by Pierce Brown
30. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
The one on a day in the life of an agent/assistant!
31. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Signing my amazing clients. I can’t wait until you all get to read their books
32. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
Just one? SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIEN AGENDA by Becky Albertalli, SHADOWSHAPER by Daniel Jose Older…I also have this entire list to get to.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
I am listing a few:
ANGELS BURNING by Tawni O’Dell
WHAT WE FIND by Robyn Carr
FROM HERE TO HOME by Marie Bostwick
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
BOUND BY BLOOD AND SAND by Becky Allen
THE COLD BETWEEN by Elizabeth Bonesteel
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
I have several: MORNING STAR by Pierce Brown, GEMINA by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, THE YOUNG ELITES #3 by Marie Lu