Year End Survey and Wrap Up
Posted by Caitie F on December 31, 2012
i love doing the End of Year Survey from Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner every year. But first, here are some stats!
Books read: 100 – hit my yearly goal!
Pages read: 38,315 – thanks to A Song of Fire and Ice, beat last year by more than 2,000 pages!
Read for work: 31 – this number will probably go down next year
Read 1001 Challenge: 9
Read 1001 Children’s: 2
Read for pleasure: 68
YA books: 30
Time for the survey (click here for original survey post)
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen Thought this would be fantastic, but I found her so condescending towards young people.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay. This was my second most recommended book of the year. I gave it to three people for the holidays!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Again, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I gave this book to six people to read. I will continue to give that book to others!
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. I read the entire series this year. It isn’t the best series ever and has flaws, btu it is really fun to read.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Ernest Cline who wrote Ready Player One
Owen Laukkanen who wrote The Professionals
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The Man Without A Face by Masha Gessen. This book changed my opinion on Russia. It is the best nonfiction book i have read and everyone needs to read it.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. Best book in the series!
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Take A Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg. I adore every single book that Eulberg has witten and want to re-read them all in 2013, and I think this is my favorite one! If you have not read her books yet, you really need to. She is the future of YA and she is brilliant.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Didn’t love the book, but think the cover is beautiful!
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Josie from Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys. It comes out next year and it a fantastic book, mostly because Josie is my favorite character of the year – with Hazel from TFIOS by John Green as a close second!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Surprise, surprise, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. So beautiful!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
The Man Without a Face by Masha Gessen. I have never had a book change my mind about something like this book did.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin,” - from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Prodigy by Marie Lu. It isn’t out yet but the END! Everyone needs to read it so we can talk about THE END!!
That is already out - Insurgent by Veronica Roth. This one was also the ending. It took the book up an entire star because it was so awesome and epic!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Jennifer and Quark in The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde. My husband recommended it to me and I loved it!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Code Name Verity
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
For everyone else to read Out of the Easy
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Read at least another 100 books!